About Coalfield Development and Rewire Appalachia
Coalfield Development is a not-for-profit organization working actively to rebuild the Appalachian economy to be more socially, environmentally, and economically sustainable than ever before. The organization’s mission focuses on supporting a family of social enterprises (businesses with heart) to inspire Appalachians with the courage to grow, the creativity to transform perceived liabilities into assets, and the community needed to cultivate real opportunity in Appalachia through mentorship, education, and employment. To achieve our vision of having Appalachian people and places live into their full potential, Coalfield employs young adults and laid-off coal-miners in diversified businesses, boosting employment across the region and developing new sectors of economic growth. These business enterprises include construction, agriculture, woodworking, solar installations, real estate management, and environmental remediation. Crew members within these enterprises work on the job site for 33 hours a week, attend community college for 6 hours a week, and spend 3 hours a week engaged in life-skills coaching (i.e. money management, time management, goal setting, healthy living etc.). This 33-6-3 model enables crew members to gain vital on-the-job training while earning a livable wage and completing an Associate’s Degree in two years’ time.
Coalfield places a heavy emphasis on the values of Gumption, Grit, and Grace. By gumption, we mean commitment: to work, to self, to each other, to our communities. We know life is often difficult and challenging, yet with our gumption we can overcome the hurdles in our lives and succeed where others might have quit. Grit refers to our dogged pursuit of solutions to problems, our commitment to seeing a job through and to finding joy in our work (and play!) while we learn and grow. Our emphasis on grace recognizes that we all make mistakes, and that by practicing grace with ourselves and others, we create the space to fully trust and build strong relationships with our colleagues, value each other’s unique strengths, listen to our friends and mentors (especially those with whom we differ), and thus continually improve ourselves.
Rewire Appalachia is an enterprise of Coalfield Development that focuses on solar energy and energy efficiency. With our partner organization, Solar Holler, we bring beautiful, functional, and affordable solar arrays to life across Appalachia. Our goal at Rewire is both to be the premier installer of solar systems in the region and to mentor and develop highly skilled and energetic solar technicians. The Project Manager is responsible for facilitating the growth and development of crew members and leading them toward their successful completion of all three elements of the 33-6-3 model. Our goal this year includes the installation of over 100 roof-top solar arrays and expansion into the energy efficiency sector.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Rewire Project Manager will be responsible for both bringing beautiful, functional, and affordable solar arrays to life across Appalachia and mentoring, motivating, and coordinating crew members to keep them focused on their work and their personal and professional development. The position is based in Huntington, West Virginia and includes significant travel around the region.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Solar installation and electrical tie-in.
- Leading solar installations for residential and commercial customers, including (but not limited to) roof-top installation and grid tie-in.
- Reviewing stamped project and site safety plans
- Overseeing the completion of all aspects of project work including roof attachments, racking assembly, foundation excavations, concrete pours, trenching, module installation, electrical wiring, conduit installation, monitoring setup, and system commissioning.
- Working with the engineering and operations teams/partners to provide all necessary equipment and safety gear for the project site.
- Ability and comfort working outside in all seasons, working on roofs, and working with ladders, scaffolding, lifts, and hand and power tools
Crew member mentorship, training, and development.
- Managing multiple hardworking crews of roof-top installers and apprentice electricians.
- Mentoring and training crew members (apprentice electricians) in quality work and professional conduct.
- Leading crew members through every element of Coalfield’s 33-6-3 mentorship model, including participation in all Coalfield public events and meetings.
- Creating (and enjoying) a positive work environment with your crew-members.
- Camaraderie, teamwork and joy: We love what we do, work well with our teammates, and view each project as a work of art—a work of art that you will bring to life
- Licensed Journeyman Electrician comfortable working independently as well as under the general guidance of a master electrician. Must be comfortable on rooftops and capable of lifting 100lbs.
- Previous Experience installing solar electric systems preferred, including comfort with the ability to bend conduit, connect wires to circuit breakers, inverters, disconnects, junction boxes, etc., and to test electrical systems using a multi-meter to ensure the proper function and safety of systems. Impeccable attention to detail is a must!
- A Heart for Mentorship coupled with a positive, enthusiastic personality. The purpose of Coalfield is to lead people in Southern WV to discover their full potential, power, and purpose. This is only achieved through effective one-on-one relationship building and by a leader who leads by example. Past mentoring experiences are highly valued and might include coaching (sports or other), Big brothers-Big Sisters, 4H, etc…
- Leadership Abilities and Management Experience, particularly in running one or more crews of 4-8 people efficiently. Must have experience in job-site planning, scheduling, and decision making.
- An Associate’s Degree, A.S., (or higher) is preferred, but not mandatory.
- Strong Belief and Commitment to Rewire’s Mission of workforce training, personal development, and re-powering Appalachian communities with renewable energy.
- Willingness to travel to project sites across the state of West Virginia and Ohio.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic business environment and shift gears as needed.
- Other professional certifications and education will be considered in the hiring process.
Based on qualifications and experience and completive with industry hourly rates. Includes vacation, personal days, and a benefits package.
To apply, please email your application letter and resume in a single PDF to: email@example.com. Please put “Application for Rewire Appalachia Project Manager” and your name in the email subject. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Rewire Appalachia, a Coalfield Development social enterprise, provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. You may also fill out the form below.